Veterans Benefits and How They Affect You
As a veteran (or a family member of a veteran), you’re entitled to compensation and benefits provided to you by the government. These benefits cover a wide range of services, including:
- Disability benefits
- Life insurance
- Burial expenses
- Long-term care
- Home-loan guarantees
However, applying (and qualifying) for these benefits can be tricky and oftentimes difficult to navigate; therefore, it is important to enlist the help of a trained attorney who can work with you to determine your eligibility.
Veterans Benefits and You
Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces are in a unique position to receive benefits that assist with you and your loved ones’ longevity. Most, if not all, of these benefits are administered through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
Each type of benefit, from long-term care to home loans, has its own set of criteria, so it’s important to do your research before applying. For example, home loan guarantees, as explained by FindLaw, are offered to veterans with a number of active-duty service days during a determined period of armed conflict.
Since October 2018, the VA has changed the rules that affect veterans benefits. These changes include:
- No undue hardship provisions
- Established maximum net worth of $123,600 for the veteran
- 36-month look-back period on assets (with a 5-year penalty period for misuse)
- Annuities and changes in benefit calculations
- New definition for claimant and dependent annual income as well as personal effects and homestead
Because of these changes, you may not be eligible for certain benefits. Contact a qualified attorney trained in military law to determine your status and if you need to reapply for veterans benefits.
Finding a Veterans Benefits Lawyer
Skyline Village, Birmingham’s leading senior living community, prides itself on its thriving veteran population. We work hard to provide our veterans, whether new to Skyline or a well-established resident, reverent and exciting events to honor them as well as modern amenities and care.
We’ve partnered with Birmingham-based Bradford & Holliman, LLC, to provide our residents the crucial support and guidance as they navigate the complexities of veterans benefits.
Bradford & Holliman has a significant background in veterans benefits. They help guide veterans and their families through the maze of options, from preserving assets to estate and financial planning.
How Bradford & Holliman Assist Elderly Veterans
Although Bradford & Holliman can assist with a large range of services tied to veterans benefits, they primarily work with veterans and their families on getting the aid and assistance they deserve.
Senior Veterans Aid & Assistance at Skyline Village
Veterans suffering from illnesses that require long-term care are eligible for home-based and community-based options. Bradford & Holliman helps disabled service members get the long-term benefits they’re entitled to, including:
- Daily living assistance. For veterans over 65 years old, the need does not need to result from military service. For those younger than 65, assistance is available for service-related partial or total disability.
- VA and Medicaid Benefits. A service member is entitled to obtain VA benefits and still be eligible for Medicaid benefits. Bradford & Holliman will work with you on applying for both programs.
- Compensation for living expenses. These expenses are related to nursing home, assisted living and home healthcare. The benefits range from $1,632 to $2,540 a month for a married couple (if both spouses are veterans).
Moving Forward with Veterans Benefits
Skyline Village encourages our residents and their families to take advantage of the resources available to them. For our veterans, whether currently at Skyline or considering a move, we recommend that you reach out for a trained attorney who can work with you on your unique case and get you the compensation you deserve for your service.
To learn more about veterans benefits from Bradford & Holliman, check out their website or give them a call at 205-663-0281.
Skyline Village is a beautiful independent living community that offers residents an all-inclusive luxury lifestyle at an affordable value. All-inclusive means that there are no more worries about paying various bills that come with renting or owning a home. Take a virtual tour, schedule an in-person tour, or give us a call for more details: 205-957-4700.